Sunday, January 10, 2016

seven things that make my world a better place



Sometimes you just want talk about the things that bring you joy and inspiration. The things that make the world a better place. I find, though, that it’s difficult to convey how much you dig something with words, especially if it really moves you. Yet I want to say something about these things I love and thus this idea was born (also yesterday’s post was all about something that sucks so a little balance will be nice.) The entries will be short; a scholarly treatise this will not be.

Why seven? It’s my favorite number. Couldn’t tell you why. And the why doesn’t matter anyway. Check out the items on the list below (at least those that you are geographically able); maybe you’ll dig ‘em, maybe not. This may or may not become an irregular feature. I may or may not be noncommittal today. What I do know is that I unabashedly love and admire these seven things:

It Follows. The best horror movie of the millennium, rivaled only by Let the Right One In. “We’ll figure it out,” says the little sister to the big sister repeatedly, and in those moments more is said about love and friendship than a billion rom-coms. The performances are exceptional. My first viewing brought tears to my eyes and the film loses none of its power upon repeated viewings. I’ve been known to lament the lack of good, character-driven horror movies in the last twenty years; here is one that stands with the greats. 


Livia Llewellyn’s Engines of Desire. I bought this book when it first came out, loved it, and re-read all of it over the holiday break and loved it even more. Three stories, “Horses,” “At the Edge of Ellensburg,” and “Engines of Desire” pack a gut punch that is as fierce as anything I’ve read in the last ten years; the rest of the stories are great too. She’s got a new collection coming out this year on Word Horde Press and there’s not a book due this year I’m more excited about. I’m also quite enjoying her Patreon-supported erotica project.

Agalloch’s Not Unlike the Waves and Bloodbirds. Ok, technically that’s two things but they are both on the album Ashes Against the Grain so that counts. There is no current band that inspires me as much in the cinematic scope and emotional texture of their music. I rotate through all of their works continually; these two have been calling particularly strong the last few weeks. My writing is primarily inspired by music as opposed to other writing; I strive to write stories that move me like these two songs do. Epic and beautiful, this is music that captures the elemental forces of nature and sweeps you along. “And all of our shadows/are ashes against the grain…”



“Wolf of Hunger, Wolf of Shame” by J.T. Glover. This wonderful tale is a perfectly paced fable about perception and identity (two concepts I’ve been ruminating over a great deal of late.) The syntax, in particular, is a marvel. Though I’m fortunate enough to call the author a friend, said friendship by no means influences my enjoyment of “Wolf of Hunger, Wolf of Shame”: the story stands entirely on its own. Available in Weirdbook #31.

Reuben’s Brews. Seattle is a ridiculous treasure trove for the beer lover; you can’t throw a stone without hitting a dozen craft breweries. Reuben’s stands above the pack. Every beer is lovingly crafted with an exacting eye for the science involved in the brewing process. Reuben’s is the one brewer that I will willingly try beer styles I don’t care for, and more often than not I’ll enjoy those beers. (And if I don’t, it’s simply a palette thing, not because they aren’t excellent beers.) You haven’t experienced craft beer until you’ve had Reuben’s Roggenbier or Imperial IPA or Roasted Rye IPA…or any of their beers.

Mondo Digital. My go-to site for grindhouse and weird cinema. I’ve found a few gems thanks to this site, and I enjoy their reviews, which do a nice job of letting you know just enough about a film to see if you are interested, as well as prepare you for the quality of the actual DVD/Blu-Ray. I also appreciate that, unlike most free sites, they aren’t loaded down with a bunch of ads that render the site unreadable. The white lettering on black background does burn my eyes after a while, but that’s a small price to pay for such a rich resource.

House of Psychotic Women: An Autobiographical Topography of Female Neurosis in Horror and Exploitation Films by Kier-la Janisse. There are five film books I love beyond reason and revisit frequently. Three are by (or edited by) Stephen Thrower: Nightmare USA, Beyond Terror and Eyeball. Fourth is Tim Lucas’ weighty marvel Mario Bava: All the Colors of the Dark. House of Psychotic Women is the newest entry on this list, and an absolute essential one. Rather than repeat myself, I’ll be lazy and link to my Goodreads review. A truly unique voice that brings a sorely-needed perspective to the world of horror and exploitation films.



No comments:

Post a Comment