Sunday, December 21, 2014

solstice notes

Solstice thoughts:

The longest night of the year. On this day the pagan imagery speaks more strongly to me than any other time of the year, save Halloween. On both of these evenings one can sense how thin the veil is between worlds. I think some of the greatest art has been created when the veil is thin.

Tonight I could crack open my skull and not feel it.

Stolen from Coil: Moon's milk spills from my unquiet skull and forms a white rainbow. One of my favorite sentences ever...

We know that what we see with our eyes is but one level of what really exists. Will we, I wonder, eventually evolve to where we can see multiple levels at once? How might we interpret such stimuli? I confess I find it odd that we put so much effort into creating unreal experiences and so little towards seeing what is around us. If we could see waves of energy! I'm not the target audience for virtual reality, I guess.

A friend posted this conversation on Facebook tonight:
Friend to her two-year old: "Oh, I just love you so much. As much as all the universes and solar systems that have ever existed forever."
Two-year old: "And the Kuiper belt."
Friend: "Yes, and the Kuiper belt."

I got away from burning candles for a number of years but they've come back strong since we moved to this house. And now I notice the children burning them. This makes me happy to see. It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness. It is better to light a candle than wake up with a raging hangover.

I've never been able to meditate. But sometimes I can be still and hear the hum. The universe sings a steady lullaby, electrical and full of colors we've not yet seen. But sometimes we dream them. When we wake up our head hurts. And then we get coffee and go about our little lives.

Sometimes I knock this meat wagon we call a body, but it is pretty amazing what it can do. Sometimes all I want is skin-to-skin touch. A universe within a universe.

I never thought Arthur C. Clarke was a particularly good writer, but as a mind he was fascinating. And he is responsible for one of the most truthful statements I've ever read: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Magic is intent. Magic is storytelling. If we ever meet a true alien race, and if we could somehow communicate with it, storytelling is what would bridge the gap. I believe this. But then, I'm kind of naive and stupid. Except when I'm cynical and stupid.

Even atheists are touched by ghosts.

I want to say: moon, moon, moon. I want to shout: Moon! Moon! Moon! I want so sing: moon moon moon. I want to whisper moon--moon--moon.

There is so much beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment