Saturday, September 24, 2016

take a pitch



He needs to take this pitch, the radio says
I shut the car off before finding out if he did.
By the time I’ve finished grocery shopping and returned to the car the game is over
No comeback in the 9th
I’m barely paying attention anyway.
I would do well to take a few pitches.
I turn the postgame off and try not to think about whether next week’s groceries will require a dip
                into savings.

It’s only 3:30 in the afternoon.
Beneath the Kindle I discover an Easter card that my in-laws
                gave me last spring.
My in-laws gave me an Easter card.
That’s the kind of people they are.
The card is full of puns
The world could use more people like my in-laws
I should throw the card away or store it somewhere
But I leave it on the end table beneath the Kindle
It’s found a home there and
There is enough rootlessness as it is.

My hand shook this morning but it’s steady now
I had two cups of coffee early like I do every day
Maybe it’s not good for me
But I do it anyway
Gear up for the known
Still the shaking concerned me
I imagined arthritis and dementia, aneurysms and heart attacks
I told myself I’m 42 and in decent health
Take a pitch, that’s what I should do
Look for the curve, look for the change.

I had an out-of-body experience on my 18th birthday
Brought on by LSD
I looked at my rag doll body slumped by the toilet
There was a pile of housekeeping magazines on the floor
My arm draped over them
Like I was hugging them
I was deeply unimpressed with myself
I thought about Naked Lunch which I was reading at the time
I wanted cosmic spies and talking assholes
Not my silent body hugging housekeeping magazines
I realized I could die and even though I was out of my body I still had no idea
                what death meant
After a while I figured I’d better get back into my body
Didn’t want to die and leave my fellow partygoers with a problem
Didn’t want to die hugging housekeeping magazines next to a toilet
I was most of the way back in my body when D. came in and asked me where I’d been
I moved my lips and my limbs
Thought of the Stephen King story “The Raft”
                how the colors hypnotized the kids
                just before they were eaten
I told D. I was admiring the colors
It was a stupid hippie thing to say
There was no way I could take a pitch then
There was so much infield to explore
So much outfield to traverse.

Fear tastes like tangerines.
I don’t much care for fruit
I eat too much salt
Salt leads to aneurysms
Salt leads to excessive exit velocity.

Harry S. Truman was not a folk hero
He was a stubborn idiot who thought
The mountain would never harm him
That belief got him buried in tons of hot ash and mud
His lake ejected into the air
When the lake landed it was choked with dead timber and poisonous gasses
There’s nothing noble about becoming a myth
There’s nothing romantic about ignorance
Reid Blackburn and David Johnson died in the line of duty
Their deaths were no less painful but they weren’t ignorant
Their work gave something to the world
Harry S. Truman was a hook for sensationalistic TV pieces
I felt bad for his cats, though.

Take a pitch.

Every seven years or so I spend 3-8 months in a state of anxiety
A continuing panic attack
Convinced my heart is about to stop beating even though it’s beating too fast
Convinced I’ll forget how to breathe
My chest tightens and hurts
I think I’m getting dementia
Sure that I will soon be unable to string words together
My daughters will look at me
Their eyes sad and scared
What happened to our father?
They’ll think to our earlier discussions about how the body is just
                a wagon of meat
And they’ll realize it’s true
This blubbering idiot in front of them
This empty meat bag
Was once their father
Is still their father
But he seemed fine, they’ll say
He was laughing and joking and singing Def Leppard songs with us
Until he wasn’t
What is mom going to do now?
This is selfish this is unfair this is a mistake
Where’s our father, where did he go?

Curveball.
Change.
Heater.

How naked we are in front of love.
The bones in my hand hum to think of it
I want go to Jupiter
Naked, pleading, desperate
Take a pitch, take a pitch.

I’m going to name it even if it’s just out of the frame
I’m going to name it even if I never sleep again
I’m going to name it and change the pillowcases

Burnt toast smells like childhood
Char on the teeth and tongue
In future years the char will get rave reviews
                in the foodie publications and websites
But for now it is just grit in the mouth
Scraping and wonder, longing and butter
Take a pitch, spitball, butterball

A mouth full of spiders
A handful of dried leaves
Crackling as they are crunched in a fist
Seasons circle back and eat their own tail
I still love autumn
Even when everything hurts
Even when everything is breaking
The playoffs start in October and it is
                even more important to take a pitch
If I can just steady my hands
Erase the swirling in my eyes
If I can just take a pitch
Then I have a chance
To stay in the lineup.

No comments:

Post a Comment