Thursday, September 11, 2014

warm, flat lager

The words are beginning to pile up, but they still aren't the words I'm looking for. It's like getting a warm, flat lager when you were expecting a cold, hoppy IPA. But at least the words are coming. Tonight I felt the despair come crashing down over the quality of the output but I've so far battled it to standstill. And no alcohol was involved. Just keep working. 

There are a few things I like in the story I'm working on. But the story, it just doesn't move. At least after the first few paragraphs. And then I think I should stop working on it and work on something else...but what if the breakthrough is just around the corner? One never knows. So many abandoned projects lie behind the one that succeeds. Knowing when to cut the cord is the hardest call to make...I've never figured out the formula. 

Been thinking of putting one of my old stories up here. The act of typing it out (because Blogger sucks with the whole cut-and-paste thing) could be interesting, revisiting something that is amateur compared to what I do now, but *works*. As in, the story moves. I'm always hesitant to revisit past works--I want to move forward. But perhaps in this case it would help me with some of the current roadblocks. 

I dunno. It's a Halloween story, so I've got to decide before too much longer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment